Family of John SUMPNER (SOMNER) and Frances HART

picture

Seend Church

picture

Seend Church Tower

Husband: John SUMPNER (SOMNER)

Name: John SUMPNER (SOMNER)
Sex: Male
Father: John SUMPNER (SUMNER) (aft1587-1641)
Mother: Margery TYLLING (TILLING) (1591-aft1619)
Birth 1619 Seend, Wiltshire
Baptism 27 Aug 1619 (age 0) Seend, Wiltshire
Death 20 Sep 1663 (age 43-44) Seend, Wiltshire

Wife: Frances HART

Name: Frances HART
Sex: Female
Father: -
Mother: -
Birth Seend, Wiltshire
Death 1664 Seend, Wiltshire
Burial 17 Sep 1664 Seend, Wiltshire

Child 1: Ann SUMNER

Name: Ann SUMNER
Sex: Female
Birth 4 Mar 1640 Seend, Wiltshire
Baptism 7 Mar 1640 (age 0) Seend, Wiltshire

Child 2: Mary Elizabeth SUMNER

Name: Mary Elizabeth SUMNER
Sex: Female
Spouse: George USHER (1655- )
Birth 1642 Seend, Wiltshire
Baptism 6 Jan 1642 (age 0) Seend, Wiltshire
Death 1726 (age 83-84) Seend, Wiltshire
Burial 7 Nov 1726 Seend, Wiltshire

Child 3: Edward SUMNER

Name: Edward SUMNER
Sex: Male
Spouse: Ann WOOD (1649-1715)
Birth 28 Sep 1644 Seend, Wiltshire
Baptism 29 Sep 1644 (age 0) Seend, Wiltshire
Death 12 Aug 1710 (age 65) Seend, Wiltshire

Child 4: John SUMPNER (SOMNER)

Name: John SUMPNER (SOMNER)
Sex: Male
Spouse: Mary TIPPER (1645- )
Birth 1644 Seend, Wiltshire
Death 26 Dec 1670 (age 25-26) Seend, Wiltshire

Note on Husband: John SUMPNER (SOMNER)

Notes from the Wiltshire County Council Web Site -

 

The seventeenth century saw buildings continuing to be erected in the High Street such as Seend Lodge, The Manor house, Bell Hill Cottages and Seend Green House (residence of John Sumner, friend of John Aubrey) with its walled garden, summerhouse, stable block and coach house. Opposite is Horse Pond and Edward Cook’s smithy (on the corner of what still is Cook’s Lane).Greenhayes House has a 17th century core and may have been the White Hart Inn in 1690. Most of the 17th century houses were re-faced with brick in the 19th century. A Pound in Seend Green had been there since the 17th century, but is not there now.

 

The 19th century saw six farmhouses built in Seend: Seend Hill Farm, Turner’s Farm, Marsh Farm (Seymour Lodge), Seend Farm/Sumner’s (Vicarage), Manor Farm and Malthouse Farm.

 

There was a Mill in Seend from the 13th century and the broad cloth trade was the principle one in the village in the 15th century. Western Wiltshire was one of the main manufacturing areas it the country. Summerham Brook powered the water mills. Other village craftsmen in the 17th century were weavers, fullers, tucker, shearman and tailors, still largely having a connection with the wool trade. The trade began to decline in the early 17th century and lead to a lack of jobs for weavers. Three Seend weavers were prosecuted for rioting when corn was being collected at Seend Green. The villagers saw the grain but couldn’t afford to buy any. The weavers were imprisoned in Warminster gaol for a few days, and then put in the stocks for two hours. In 1647 Seend villagers joined others in the locality to make representations at the Quarter Sessions on the ‘miserable condition for want of work’. The industry recovered in the late 17th and 18th century. Clothiers became so rich that they began to own property, for example the Somner family. Weavers earned more than farm labourers and in 1797 income was spent on barley flour, yeast, salt, tea, butter, cheese soap, candles, thread, coals and garden vegetables. In 1814 the row of cottages next to the Methodist Chapel were leased and re-built to form workshops for the clothing trade, but by 1841 there were no weavers, finishers or spinners in Seend. Labourers fared poorly; a labourer living in the Melksham area in a house on ‘part of the waste’ that was in poor condition did not dare to ask the Parish to repair it in case they should claim it. The poor often moved to the Salisbury Plain area for better wages and more constant employment at that time.